It’s summertime and the refreshing “adult” drinks are coming out of the freezer and ready for consumption! Have I got the drink for you! I know a lot of us think of summertime with light colored drinks such as Vodka and Grapefruit, Gin and Tonic, and Fruity Patootie drinks, but let me talk you into something different. The Bourbon Slush!
Now whiskey, especially bourbon whiskey has become really popular again in the last few years. I grew up with my parents loving a Manhattan, an Old-Fashioned or Whiskey Sour drink. We used to think that was an “old person’s” drink. Sorry Mom and Dad…oh wait….that’s me now too! Not anymore! So much creativity is happening in the world of whiskey!
In the spirit of keeping things on the lighter side at summertime get-togethers and loving whiskey, I have to pull out the 5 ingredient Bourbon Slush recipe from the June Fete cookbook in my collection. The ingredients are simple, with tea bags, sugar, bourbon, orange concentrate and lemonade concentrate. I don’t always have the lemonade or orange juice concentrate in my freezer, but after reviving this recipe, I will now!
Go buy the 12 oz frozen lemonade concentrate and the 18 oz frozen can of orange juice concentrate and make sure you have sugar, tea bags and bourbon ready (not the $60 – $80 bourbon you drink straight up). I like Jim Beam or Jack Daniels for this slush. It’s basically mixing it altogether and freezing it!
I couldn’t wait to take the Bourbon Slush out of the freezer and relax with that refreshing, cooling and deliciously sweet summertime drink! It’s water ice for adults! I love entertaining with this drink because EVERYONE loves it! But beware….it goes down a little too easy! I make it in varying amounts depending on the size of the party or get together I am having, but it’s just as easy to make a small batch and have one for your nighttime or weekend treat after a long day at work!
This week, I did 5 quarts, and I froze it in a few containers so that it freezes faster and doesn’t become too liquidy when it sits out…..although it usually gets devoured in a flash! When you serve it, you can place it in ice just like you would with ice cream and grab that ice cream scoop and scoop into a glass or plastic solo cup, add a little club soda, (or a splash more of bourbon…hee….hee…hee..) and swirl it around a little, grab a spoon or straw and go to town!!!!! And don’t forget to be creative if you have other ideas for adding or exchanging ingredients!
I hope you all love this as much as I do when I’m with my family and friends!
Until Next Time
Let’s Get Cookin’ (and Adult Beverage Drinkin’)
Summertime Bourbon Slush Drink
- Large Pitcher or Bowl to mix ingredients
- Freezer containers to pour drink into (I use the deli containers for salads and soups)
- 5 tea bags
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 ½ cups sugar OR substitute 3/4 cup sugar with 3 oz Cloister Bourbon Honey sold from Capella's Olive Oil & Vinegar, Ocean City, NJ
- 18 oz frozen orange juice concentrate: thawed
- 12 oz frozen lemonade concentrate: thawed
- 1 ½ cups bourbon whiskey I use Jack Daniels or Jim Beam
- Steep the tea bags in the boiling water.
- Add the sugar and mix to dissolve. and make sure the sugar crystals are fully dissolved.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour in freezer containers and freeze for at least 24 hours or more.
- To serve, place container in a blow of ice to stay cold, and use an ice cream scoop to scoop the slush into a glass or paper cup.
- Optional: top off with some club soda and gently stir for a fizzy take on the drink!