A GREAT WAY TO MAKE A BUFFALO CHICKEN DIP!
This past Sunday, I had to whip up a Buffalo Chicken Dip for a last minute get together. Thank goodness I happened to have some cooked chicken breast in the fridge and had ingredients to make the dip. Well, I didn’t have the ranch dressing that my daughter-in-laws recipe calls for, so I had to improvise.
And even though her recipe doesn’t call for celery and scallions, I decided to add them in! So by the time I was ready to make the dip, it didn’t resemble her recipe at all! Here I go again!
Since I didn’t have ranch dressing, the scallions and buttermilk were great substitutes for some of that flavor, and a tad of Worcestershire sauce along with Frank’s hot sauce gave it the kick it needed!
Now some of my family doesn’t care for bleu cheese, so I substituted Monterey Jack instead. I may play around with a different cheese the next time, but the Monterey Jack was pretty tasty!
But putting it in the cast iron skillet was the best! Almost gave it a smokey taste which turned out great when finished off in the oven!
The dip was bubbling when I pulled it out of the oven, and scooping up some dip onto a cracker directly from the cast iron skillet was “Oh so good”! I think I’ll make sure I have bleu cheese on the side for me next time and maybe even add some liquid smoke to dip! Hmmmm….my mind is going again!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin” together,
Cast Iron Skillet Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 Cast Iron Skillet or Large Stove Top Sauté Pan
- 1 9" x 9" glass dish or aluminum pan if not using a cast iron skillet
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup celery, diced
- ½ cup scallions, diced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup Frank's Hot Sauce
- 2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (split in half)
- ¼ tsp Kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a large cast iron skillet or large stove top sauté pan, melt butter on low - medium heat.
- Add celery and scallions and sauté until softened, about 5 - 8 minutes.
- Add softened cream cheese, and stir until blended with the celery and scallions.
- Stir in buttermilk. Add cooked chicken and stir until combined.
- Add hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1 cup of the shredded cheese, salt, pepper, and celery salt. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cup of cheese on top of dip. Place skillet in oven and bake for 15 minutes until dip is bubbly in the middle. If you do not have a cast iron skillet, put dip into an oven safe dish or pan.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve hot with crackers, celery, carrots, or crackers or bread of choice.