WANT A NON-TRADITIONAL CHICKEN SOUP TO KEEP YOU FUELED AS YOU COOK FOR THE HOLIDAYS?
As I start my week of cooking the seven fishes for Christmas Eve and a traditional filet for Christmas Day, I love to keep a soup on the stove to grab for lunch and dinner. That way, I don’t have to worry about cooking much else aside from the dishes I make for the Holidays! And this Chicken Tortilla Soup has the perfect combination of vegetables, starch and protein, with a flavorful chicken and tomato base!
EASY INGREDIENTS YOU HAVE IN YOUR FRIDGE AND PANTRY
This soup starts and ends with simple ingredients you typically have in your pantry and fridge, like chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, peppers, diced tomatoes, and black beans! Add some spices from your spice drawer, and some tortilla chips, sour cream, and avocado for garnish, and voila! You’ve got your soup!
CAN THIS BE DONE IN ONE POT?
Absolutely! You can sear the chicken in the pot and add all the ingredients in, or you can roast the chicken in the oven, then add the chicken to the pot with the remaining ingredients. Easy peezy! I do like to roast my chicken while I am adding the remaining ingredients to the pot because it does save a little time (not much, really), but hey, every bit helps during this Holiday week!
CAN I SUBSITUTE INGREDIENTS LIKE FIRE ROASTED TOMATOES FOR THE DICED TOMATOES?
Yes, that would actually be amazing! I didn’t have any in my pantry at the time, but I would definitely suggest that! And listen, don’t be afraid to add any other ingredients you have available or as a substitute, like zucchini for the celery, kidney beans for the black beans, rice or pasta, whatever you have and would enjoy in this soup! To me, the best thing about soup is all the different ingredients you can literally throw in and make it taste delicious!
So I hope my Chicken Tortilla Soup helps to fuel you through this week or any other time of the year! Let’s go Holidays!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- 3 tbsps olive oil Madeline's Shake it Up Blended Oil Seasoning
- 4 chicken breasts or wings (boneless) (2.5 pounds) Makes about 4 cups shredded
- 2 cups carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 1 cup onion (sliced)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red, yellow or orange peppers (sliced in thin strips)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chipotle seasoning 1 tsp of the tbsp is for sprinkling on the chicken when roasting or sautéing in the pot.
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can black beans ((15 ounces)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces) Fire-roasted tomatoes are great, too!
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced for garnish a few slices per bowl
- 1 tbsp sour cream for garnish for each bowl
- ¼ cup tortilla strips for garnish or a side bowl of tortilla chips
- Sprinkle chicken breasts/wings with 1 tsp of the Chipotle seasoning. Cook chicken either by roasting at 400° for 20 - 25 minutes with the olive oil or sauté low-medium heat in the pot with olive oil turning once to brown and until cooked through.
- Turn heat down to low - medium and add sliced carrots, celery, onions, peppers and garlic and stir with chicken, sweating the vegetables for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans (do not drain) and remaining spices, stirring until all combined.
- Cook on medium heat for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, making sure soup does not burn.
- Return heat to low, and remove chicken and set on a plate for 5 minutes, and shred with a fork, adding back into soup once shredded.
- Stir soup and cook on low for about 30 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, sour cream and shredded tortilla strips or a side of tortilla chips.