GETTING READY FOR MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND?
We always look forward to Memorial Day weekend to spend time with family and friends either at the Jersey shore or home in Harleysville by the pool. Memorial Day kicks off the summer and all the great food, drink, company and fun we can’t wait to have! Of course we think burgers and dogs, barbecue chicken or ribs, macaroni and potato salads, and red, white and blue desserts! And cool, bubbly, and slushy drinks! And of course, gooey chocolatey desserts!
I felt like trying out something new with a brownie recipe that I have by adding some of those REALLY good cherries you get for your old-fashioned drinks, and some white chocolate chips and a little almond extract! The brownie recipe is the one I used for the base of my Chocolate Mint Brownies, but without the frosting and layer of melted chocolate on top! This recipe just has the goodies inside!
A GOOEY, RICH CHOCOLOATEY TREAT!
I decided to use one of my brownie pans where there is a 2-inch square cut out inserted metal piece that fits inside the 7-inch by 11-inch rectangular pan. When making the brownies, it gives you a really nice even size to add the cherries and white chocolate chips on top, but I learned they really have to cool down so you can cut them up in nice sized squares to plate for dessert. I also realized I should have put parchment paper on the bottom which would help with cutting and cleanup (I always forget that step)! One ingredient I decided to add last minute was almond extract, in addition to the vanilla extract! Almond flavoring, white chocolate and cherries just seem to go together, and it tasted great! Serve with some cherries on top and some vanilla ice cream if you want to make a Chocolate Cherry Brownie Cake Sundae!
Until next time
Let’s get cookin’ and bakin’
Chocolate Cherry Brownie Cake with White Chocolate Chips
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 Stand or hand mixer
- 1 7" x 11" cake pan or a 9" x 13" glass dish or aluminum pan
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 1 tbsp cherry juice from the jar of cherries optional
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 30 cherries in thick, cherry juice I use Luxardo Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven on Bake at 350°.
- Mix butter and sugar on low speed until well blended.
- Add eggs, vanilla, almond extract and cherry juice. Mix on low speed until well blended with the butter/sugar mixture.
- Add salt and flour and blend on low speed until batter is well combined.
- Add white chocolate chips and mix them into the batter.
- Spray pan thoroughly with non-stick baking spray.
- Line pan with parchment paper (optional).
- If using the 7' x 11' brownie cake plan with the 2-inch inserts, pour batter into pan and place inserts into pan.
- Top each 2-inch square with 2 cherries, and sprinkle each square with a few white chocolate chips.
- If using a 9" x 13' pan, pour batter into pan, and arrange 2 cherries approximately 2 inches apart, and sprinkle white chocolate chips on top of the batter.
- For a 9" x 13" pan, bake for 30 - 40 minutes until brownies are set up. For the 7" x 11" size pan, bake for 60 - 70 minutes until brownies are set up.
- Let cool for 45 minutes. For the pan with the insert, run a sharp knife around the four sides of each 2-inch square. Gently lift the insert, carefully trying to keep the brownie cake in tact. I also use a cake or pie server to get underneath the brownie so all the gooeyness comes off the pan! For the 9" x 13" cake pan, slice in 2-inch squares, getting the cake or pie server underneath to lift each piece.
- Serve with extra cherries and sauce or vanilla ice cream!