SUMMERTIME VEGETABLES ARE THE BEST FOR SALADS!
My friend and I went to a farmer’s market this past week and got so many fantastic fruits and vegetables! Everything from peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe and blueberries to red, orange and yellow peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, corn on the cob, fresh herbs…the list goes on and on! And one of my favorites is the corn on the cob! There are so many things to do with it! We had it fresh on the cob with a seafood fest and it was just so juicy and sweet! I had boiled 16 ears, and we still had about half leftover! So I knew I needed to make a CORN AND BEAN SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD with the leftover corn!
HOW TO MAKE MY CORN AND BEAN SUMMER SALAD!
This is one of those salads that you can put everything but the kitchen sink in it! You can substitute any veggies you have in your fridge / pantry! I would have put avocado in it, but I didn’t have one that was ripe enough! But I would definitely suggest using an avocado if you have it! And if you don’t like one of the ingredients, just omit it! Have some fun with the salad!
So I sheared the corn by running a knife down the sides and then broke it up by hand. Now you can ALWAYS substitute frozen white corn in a bag, and with all the other veggies you use, it will still be fantastic! Now here’s where the fun begins! I grabbed a can of black beans, cherry tomatoes, colorful peppers, an English cucumber, red onion, and some black olives!
And for the dressing, I used avocado oil, rice vinegar, Hoby’s Essentials Happy Paprika, fresh lime juice, honey, salt, and pepper! I topped it with chopped parsley (or cilantro if you’d prefer) and you’ve got a GORGEOUS CORN AND BEAN SUMMER VEGETABLE SALAD! I personally love cilantro, but my husband and some of my guests didn’t, so I used parsley instead! It’s a great substitute!
COLOR FOR THE EYES AND THE TASTE!
Remember, think about using ingredients that are appealing to the eye in addition to your taste! Vegetables are so colorful, and when you see a beautiful salad that is so pretty and full of color, you just know it’s got to be good for you, too!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ together!
Corn and Bean Summer Vegetable Salad
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 4-5 cups cooked white corn (fresh from the cob) You can also use frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed well 15 ounce can
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 can black olives, roughly chopped 15 ounce can
- 1-2 red, orange and/or yellow peppers, diced
- ½ pint cherry or grape tomatoes, each cut in half/quarters
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 1 juice of one lime, freshly squeezed
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup avocado oil you can substitute olive, canola or vegetable
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika you can substitute 1½ tsp cumin and 1½ tsp smoked or regular paprika
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro or parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped in bite size pieces optional
- Place corn, beans and all vegetable ingredients into mixing bowl.
- Toss together with Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika (or substitute seasoning), salt and pepper.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, lime juice and honey. Pour onto salad.
- Toss together until dressing and salad ingredients are well combined.
- Serve with grilled meats, tacos, or as a meal by itself! Enjoy!