MOVE OVER CHICKEN POT PIE! IT’S CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP TIME!
I am so happy that so many of my friends and family LOVE my Chicken Pot Pie recipe! I do love making it and seeing the smiles on everyone’s face and their eyes light up when they find out that’s what we’re having for dinner! And my daughter-in-law said to me, “I know when fall is here when you make your Chicken Pot Pie!” And now, it’s also when I make my Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup!
My Chicken Pot Pie recipe does take a few hours to prepare and cook, and one weekday I just didn’t have all that time to make it. So I thought, “How can I get as close as possible to that delicious creamy pie without spending half the day in the kitchen?” Make it into a soup!
Once you chop up the carrots, onion and celery, and have shredded your roasted chicken in the oven, it’s a one pot meal! You can even buy your veggies already chopped up and a rotisserie chicken that you just shred as if you cooked it yourself! Now I pretty much follow the same recipe as the chicken pot pie, but just add a little more broth and some diced white potatoes (since I don’t make a crust).
SOMETIMES A SMALL MODIFICATION MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE!
I usually don’t like to mess with a good thing, but in this case, I think it worked! It reminds me of when I am working on a training for my professional day job and have gotten in a little too much detail for the audience I’m presenting to. I realize that I need to modify things a little, and I can still get my point across but without the lengthy talking points.
That’s kind of what I’m doing here! Sure, if most of us were offered a Chicken Pot Pie or a bowl of Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup, we’d probably take the Chicken Pot Pie with that flakey crust! But sometimes it just may not be the right time to make it, and in this case, it’s just a little easier to prepare the soup! Maybe throw some biscuits on top when you serve the soup! Or some shredded cheese! The world is your oyster (or your chicken in this case)!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ together!
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- 1 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- 1 Cookie sheet or roasting pan
- 4 cups cooked chicken, shredded I use about six boneless thighs and two breast and roast them in the oven.
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups white potatoes, partially cooked to slightly firm, diced It's about 3 medium to large baked potatoes.
- 5 cups chicken stock or broth
- 2 cups light cream
- Roast chicken in the oven on 400° for 20 - 30 minutes. When mostly cooled, shred and set aside. Save any juice on the cookie sheet.
- Scrub outside of potatoes, prick holes around the outside with a fork, and microwave for 15 minutes. Skin potatoes and cut into small cubes. Set aside.
- Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion and sauté until vegetables begin to soften (about 10 minutes).
- Add salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
- Add flour and stir for about 5 minutes until flour is translucent with the vegetables.
- Slowly add broth and cream alternately until mixture is well combined.
- Stir constantly as mixture gently comes to a boil and begins to thicken.
- Add potatoes and chicken with the juice left from roasting it, and stir until combined.
- Turn down heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir occasionally so soup does not stick to the bottom of the pot while simmering.
- Serve with biscuits, shredded cheese on top, and/or fresh parsley for garnish!