NOTHING SAYS COMFORT IN WINTER LIKE POTATO AND LEEK SOUP!
When the weather outside is cold, and potatoes are by one get one free (lol), there’s only one thing to do! Make Potato and Leek Soup! A couple weeks ago, I made a goat cheese and leek dressing over a roasted potato, and it was sooo good that I was inspired to make Potato and Leek Soup!
Whenever I can buy yellow (golden) potatoes I buy them even though they are a little more than Idaho or russet potatoes. They’re just smoother and feel less pasty than other potatoes, especially red. Now don’t get me wrong, there are definitely times to use other types of potatoes for heartier dishes. But in this case, I went with the golden potatoes.
I know when we think of potato soup we tend to think of it with ham or bacon. And believe, me, I love my bacon and ham! But this time, I thought I would just let the potatoes, celery and leeks steal the show! And what a show it was! Yum!
SAVE TIME AND PEEL POTATOES AHEAD OF TIME
Now we all know that peeling potatoes is not a fun job and the thought of it tends to make us run in the other direction. But I will peel and cut mine up a day or two ahead of time and put them in the pot you will boil them in or a container of cold water, pop on the lid, and put them in the fridge until ready to boil! That way, it doesn’t feel like so much prep for this soup dish.
And, you can cut up the celery and leeks ahead of time, too, and store in the fridge too! Boil the potatoes for about 15 minutes, rinse, and return the pot to the stove. Then the rest is easy peezy! Some butter, flour, celery and leeks, light cream,. chicken stock, salt, pepper and celery salt, and your soup can just simmer on the stove!
If you like your soup silky smooth like I do, use the emersion blender on low once it’s simmered on the stove for 30 – 40 minutes. But if you like it a little chunkier, leave as is. Either way, you win!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ together,
Creamy Potato Leek Soup: Vegetarian Style
- 1 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- 1 Emersion Blender
- 3 pounds potatoes I use golden or yellow potatoes.
- 1 ½ cups celery, diced, (about 2 stalks)
- 1 cup leeks, diced
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock / broth
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ tsp celery salt
- 1 tbsp cooking sherry
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Ground nutmeg for garnish
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes in 2 inch pieces.
- Place potatoes in pot and cover with water.
- Boil potatoes for about 15 minutes until knife is easily inserted into them. Drain and set aside. Put pot back on the stove and turn burner on low - medium.
- Dice celery and leeks. Place butter in pot and melt.
- Put in celery, salt and pepper, Cook for about 8 minutes, and add leeks.
- Cook another 5 minutes and add flour. Stir until well combined and cook about 3 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups of the chicken stock and ½ cup of the light cream into the pot, stirring until well combined. Add the potatoes.
- Stir the potatoes in along with the remaining stock and cream.
- Simmer on the stove for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally,
- Serve with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top!