One of my most requested side dish is my Crunchy and Crispy Garlic Bread! I make this all the time for family and friends, and can do it in my sleep! I was recently asked for the recipe by Erin Morrissey of ErinLivesWhole. What an honor! In my true fashion, I just throw things together without thinking and have so many “rough recipes”, I knew I had to nail this one down! After all, it was for Erin!
It’s basically a recipe that has common sense ingredients that most of us have in our kitchen! Of course, it starts with a great loaf of crispy Italian or French bread, lots of butter, and TONS of fresh garlic, some spices and grated Pecorino Romano cheese, and freshly chopped parsley and basil.
Whenever family or friends come over, make this paste up ahead of time, and put somebody to work at the end of my island by spreading it on the bread, roasting or broiling it, cutting it up, placing in the bread basket and ready for consumption! And when I say consumption, I mean “let’s chow down”! I typically make 2 loaves because everyone takes more than one piece, and anytime I have leftovers, which is rare, I just cut it up, toast it again and use it for croutons in my Caesar salad or on top of my tomato soup!
Sometimes I’ll sprinkle mozzarella cheese on it with some of my tomato sauce and make a “Pick Up Pizza” meal out of it! There are endless possibilities to this Crunchy and Crispy Garlic Bread and I can’t wait to keep thinking of what else to do with besides devour it at one sitting!
Until Next time….
Let’s Get Cookin’
Crispy Garlic Bread
- Cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- ½ cup butter softened 1, 8 oz stick
- 1 loaf crusty Italian or French bread
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Kirkland No Salt Organic seasoning if you don’t have Kirkland’s organic seasoning, substitute ¼ tsp onion powder, ¼ tsp garlic powder, ¼ tsp cumin, ¼ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes or ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ½ cup Pecorino Romano (Locatelli) cheese, grated
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 400° on convection roast, or set your oven to broil for a traditional oven.
- Mix all ingredients together until well blended.
- Cut loaf of bread in half lengthwise. Layout so that the softbread is facing up.
- Spread half of mixture on half of the loaf and spread the remaining half of the mixture on the other half of the loaf.
- Line a piece of parchment paper on a flat cookie sheet.
- Place the loaf halves onto the parchment paper.
- Place in top rack of oven.
- Roast or broil for 5 – 7 minutes until bread is crispy brown on the top, and butter is all melted and almost bubbly. Check at 5 minutes because each oven temperature can be a little different, and you don’t want to burn the bread.
- Fold over lengthwise and slice into rectangular strips, place in bread basket, and serve!