Well the time has come to share my Signature Sweet and Savory Chili! I make this for family and friends throughout the year, and it satisfies everyone, especially my friends who are gluten free! I can’t say it’s calorie free, but I promise it is worth those extra calories!
What makes this so special is that added sweet lovin’ of brown sugar, 3 types of meat consisting of ground beef, sausage and bacon along with 2 types of beans; great northern and kidney! I love to put a variety of toppings out for everyone to choose from like sour cream, cheddar cheese, guacamole, black olives, jalapenos, tortilla strips, just to name a few! But the basic toppings of shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream and a garnish of parsley work perfect!
I hope you and your family and friends enjoy this twist on traditional chili as much as we all do!
Until next time…
Let’s get cookin’
Madeline's Signature Sweet and Savory Chili
- Large Stovetop Pot
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1 ½ lbs Italian sweet or hot sausage meat (out of the skin)
- ½ lb diced bacon
- 2 cups diced white onions
- 32 oz kidney beans
- 32 oz white beans (great northern)
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes (large can)
- 1 ¼ cups ketchup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 ½ tsp yellow mustard
- ¼ cup chili powder
- ⅛ cup Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika If you don't have Happy Paprika, use 1/8 cup cumin and 1/8 cup paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt add more or less to taste
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
- ½ cup sour cream (for topping)
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Add bacon to pot and cook on medium heat until lightly crisp.
- Remove the bacon from the pot with a slotted spoon, placing on a plate covered in a paper towel to let drain, then set aside.
- Discard the bacon fat from the pot, returning the pot to the stove and turn on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook on medium heat until they start to become translucent.
- Add the ground beef and sausage to the pot, breaking up as you mix in with the onions until the meat is cooked through. Add salt and pepper.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, ketchup, and mustards, mixing well into the meat mixture.
- Drain the kidney and white beans, discarding the juice, and add the beans to the pot. (No need to rinse the beans.)
- Return the bacon to the pot.
- Add the brown sugar, Happy Paprika (or cumin and paprika substitutions) and chili powder, mixing well.
- Bring to a slight boil, then lower the heat to simmer, and let the chili simmer for at least one hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Dish into a bowl, and top with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream, and garnish with fresh parsley (if desired). Get creative with other toppings and serve with a side of cornbread!