What I remember from New Year’s Eve this year may have some gaps in the night, but I do remember there was a lot of fun, a lot of food and drink, and a lot of good friends ringing in the new year! As many of us are empty nesters, we reminisced about many of the years we spent together with the children, not making it up to midnight, having dinner and finishing dessert all by 6 PM!
So last year we started a great tradition where we have a progressive dinner among our homes, starting with appetizers and drinks, then moving to another house for the main dinner, and finishing up with dessert and celebrating the new year at the third house. Remember my motto; all good things come in three!
I always like to have a signature drink when I entertain, and New Year’s Eve 2019 was no different. I found this recipe in the Wine & Spirits monthly magazine, with the edition mostly about Bourbon. Well, this drink had me at Bourbon! To me, bourbon whiskey has a deep, rich flavor, different than an Irish whiskey. It lends itself to the flavors of honey, maple, orange, lemon, cinnamon, and spices like ginger. Today, you will see many bourbon whiskey drinks made with a smoked flair.
So, in the spirit of “go big or go home”, I made a pitcher of this bourbon sour, and it didn’t make it past the first house party! Everyone loved it!
Whether you mix up a single drink to enjoy at dinner or a big batch when you have your next party, this drink will not disappoint!
Let’s get cookin’!
Maple Bourbon Sour Bombshell
- 6 oz Bourbon Whiskey (since you are mixing with juice, Jim Beam or Maker’s Mark is fine)
- 2 oz fresh squeezed Lemon Juice
- 2 oz Tropicana 50/50 Light Orange Juice
- 2 oz dark amber maple syrup (splurge for the real maple syrup….it’s worth it)
- 2 small sprigs of rosemary plus 4 for garnish on each glass
- Crush one rosemary sprig in your hand; add to shaker. Add first three ingredients and ice to above the level of the liquid. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice. Garnish with remaining rosemary sprig.