A CASSEROLE LIKE NO OTHER!
Every year when the Easter Holiday rolls around my family always knows we have to have the Pineapple Casserole with our ham and roast lamb. My boys will literally would wait by the oven until it came out and beg for a taste before it was served for dinner. And the next day, they would dig into the left over casserole and eat it cold! I’ve learned to make a triple batch just for that purpose!
The beauty of this recipe is that you only need 5, (yes, 5) ingredients! Butter, sugar, eggs, pineapple and bread! (Nothing fattening in this dish, right?) All you have to do is cream the butter and sugar, mix in the eggs and pineapple, and once you cube the bread in 1-inch pieces, throw them into the bowl and mix together! Pour in an aluminum pan or glass dish, and bake to bubbly golden brown perfection!
WHAT ELSE DOES THIS DISH GO WITH?
What doesn’t it go with is really the question! The obvious answer is ham, but I’ve made it with lamb, pork, chicken and even as a dessert with a cherry rum or brandy sauce! One time I even gave it a little kick with some cayenne pepper!
WELCOME IN ANY TIME OF YEAR WITH THE PINEAPPLE CASSEROLE!
I forget about this dish because it was so special during the Easter Holiday! But I will certainly be whipping this up throughout the year as a side dish or dessert when I barbecue ribs or grill hot dogs and hamburgers! And thinking about a twist on this casserole for a Pineapple Bread Pudding?????? Oooh…stay tuned for that!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’, baking and entertainin’,
Pineapple Casserole: For Dinner or Dessert?
- 1 9" x 13" glass dish or aluminum pan
- 1 Hand or Stand Mixer
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- 1 stick butter, softened (½ cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 16 ounces crushed or cubed pineapple in a can, drained
- 6 white bread slices
- Preheat oven to 350° on bake setting.
- Spray non-stick spray on the bottom and sides of the glass dish.
- In the mixer, blend butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add eggs until well combined with the butter and sugar mixture.
- Cut bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Drain pineapple and mix into the wet ingredients until well combined.
- Put in bread cubes and gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Pour into glass dish or pan and bake 1 hour. When finished, the casserole will be bubbling around the sides and golden brown on the top.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving. Goes great with ham, pork, lamb or chicken!