WHAT A FALL PUMPKIN DESSERT TREAT? TRY MY PUMKIN CANNOLI DIP!
As October comes to an end and Halloween is only a few days away, I don’t want to let October go this year! We have had the warmest October here in PA and New Jersey, still being able to wear shorts for most of the days! And anything pumpkin is another thing I don’t want to let go of! Why is it that we don’t really do much with pumpkin throughout the year until the fall comes, especially the months of September, October and November. Thanksgiving isn’t the same without good old pumpkin pie! And Spiced Wafers, Ginger Snaps and Apple Cider are in every food store you enter, right in the front so you can grab them right away! These foods scream fall!
Why is it that we don’t really think of pumpkin in the spring and summer leading up to fall? We look forward to this time of year for 9 months! The combination of the weather, the leaves turning beautiful colors, the smell of the wood burning smoke up through the fireplaces and wood burning in firepits outside lighting up the night add to the excitement of the tastes of fall! I guess it wouldn’t be as special if we had it all year around, right? So how can we make pumpkin extra special?
JUST ADD CANNED PUMPKIN TO A TRADITIONAL CANNOLI RECIPE!
I was chatting with my dear friends, Fran and Joanne at the shore this past weekend all about different kinds of pumpkin desserts. Fran said the Italian Bakery he goes to had pumpkin cannoli’s! I said, “pumpkin cannoli’s”???? Oh my! I couldn’t stop thinking about them! But the thought of making cannoli shells was daunting. I remember making them many moons ago, and spent hours at the stove with hot oil and those stainless tubes to form them correctly. UGH!
So I thought why not make the filling without the cannoli shell? Ricotta cheese, confectioner’s sugar, some pumpkin pie spice, orange zest, and of course, mini chocolate chips! Serve it with the spiced or vanilla wafers, ginger snaps, sliced apples or pears, and even cinnamon sugar pita chips! It’s a great party dessert dip this time of year!
I know this isn’t really a novel idea, but maybe I can surprise one or two people! lol.
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ and dessertin’ together,
Pumpkin Cannoli Dip
- 1 Food Processor or Blender
- 1 Medium Mixing Bowl
- 2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup Confectioner's sugar
- ⅖ canned pumpkin
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ tsp orange zest
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Blend Ricotta cheese, confectioner's sugar, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and orange zest in food processor or blender for 1 - 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Check after 1 minute to see if mixture is smooth and not grainy. If it still is, blend for 1 more minute.
- Pour mixture into mixing bowl and add mini chocolate chips. Mix until well combined.
- Pour dip into serving bowl and refrigerate for 4 - 8 hours until cold and firm.
- Garnish with mini chocolate chips and some orange zest if desired.
- Serve with sliced apples, spiced wafers, graham crackers, cinnamon sugar pita chips, or any other baked goods desired.