I just LOVE smoked salmon whether it’s with cream cheese on a bagel, in an omelet or just by itself! There’s something about it that just works like a marriage with cream cheese, and I was inspired to make a quick appetizer for a small ladies get together!
HOW IS SMOKED SALMON MADE?
Smoked salmon is actually “cold smoked”, which I didn’t know was a method of smoking! After it’s rinsed, dried and cured, it’s then cold smoked less than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, which is where the smooth and silky texture comes from!
IS SMOKED SALMON GOOD FOR US?
Smoked salmon has nutrients, vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids, which can boost your health, reduce risk of cancer and cognitive decline. With that said, enjoying smoked salmon is probably not something you want to eat everyday, but occasionally to enjoy whether by itself or with cream cheese, herbs, wine, and on top of that crusty bagel.
WHAT AN EASY APPETIZER!
I had a large English cucumber, some shallots, heirloom colorful tomatoes, and capers in my pantry and fridge and with some dill, lemon pepper and a squirt of lemon juice, you ‘ve got a match made in heaven! Grab a medium mixing bowl, soften your cream cheese, mince some shallots, slice up the cucumber in 1/4 – 1/2 inch slices and put a tablespoon full of the salmon mixture on each slice, garnishing with some chopped tomatoes, a little more salmon, and dill! Voila!
LOOKING AHEAD TO 2022
As I think about ringing in the new year, I’m hoping to share food, drink, decorating and entertaining tips with you, balancing some “worth the wait” dishes with quick and easy ones. And please let me know what you are looking for and how I can help inspire you to enjoy being in the kitchen, in your home, and enjoying special times with your family, friends and community,
Happy New Year my dear friends and family!
Until next “year”…..(hee hee)
Let’s get cookin’
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Appetizer
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, cut up in small pieces I use Kirkland Signature Smoked Salmon. Comes in a 2-pack of 12 ounces each.
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- 1 English cucumber
- 3 tsps capers
- 1 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- ½ cup heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 springs fresh dill
- Soften cream cheese in medium mixing bowl.
- Add shallots, salmon, lemon pepper, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons chopped dill to cream cheese and mix together until well blended.
- Peel cucumber lengthwise in long strips leaving skin on to make it look like stripes.
- Slice the cucumber in ¼ - ½ inch size round slices. Arrange slices on a platter for serving.
- Drop one tablespoon onto each cucumber slice. Garnish with a tiny slice of salmon, some chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of fresh dill.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.