BRUSSEL SPOUTS ITALIAN STYLE!
So I can never get enough of brussel sprouts these days! Other than when I was growing up and my mother would boil them until they were army green and mushy (sorry, Mom), I LOVE trying new ingredients to ad into a roasted Brussel Sprout dish! Now I’ve done cranraisins, golden raisins, nuts, diced veggies, and I can go on and on with my list. But one thing I hadn’t tried was sun-dried tomatoes!
I was at the shore and we were invited to our friends house, and she needed a veggie to go with dinner. I didn’t want to face the crowds at the food store, so I was scrounging around my fridge and pantry for ingredients to put with the Brussel Sprouts. And I found a jar of sun-fried tomatoes! Pay dirt! Now I had my key second ingredient and all I had to do was grab a few more ingredients that went with my “Italian-themed” vegetable!
Of course, garlic had to be one of the ingredients, as did grated Italian cheese such as parmesan or locatelli. And with some Italian seasonings, a good olive oil and balsamic vinegar (you know I love my Capella’s Olive Oil & Vinegar) and maybe even some pistachios for crunch, you’ve got a really special Brussel Sprout vegetable dish!
So I hope you enjoy this as much as my friends did, and if you have any other ideas for this dish, please send them my way!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ together,.
Italian Style Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- 1 large aluminum pan or glass dish
- 1 pound brussel sprouts,, washed and sliced in half lengthwise
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp Capella's Bourbon Balsamic Vinegar You can substitute a good dark plain Balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp Kirkland's No-Salt Organic Seasoning You can substitute ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp each of dried basil, oregano, and parsley, ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp Hoby's Essential's Happy Paprika You can substitute ¼ tsp smoked paprika and ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ cup pistachios optional
- ¼ cup Pecorino Romano or Locatelli cheese, grated or shredded
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400° on convection roast setting or 425° bake setting.
- Place all ingredients except the cheese and basil into the pan or dish.
- Toss until combined.
- Roast for 10 minutes, and toss ingredients in pan and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and basil.