Tis the season for squash, and butternut is the best! The color, texture and taste says it all! I just love making my ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP! Butternut squash is one of those vegetables where the taste is sweet and you feel like you are getting a dessert instead of a vegetable! Especially when it’s made into a soup!
This soup feeds my soul. Serve it as an entrée or before a main course! And if you don’t have time to cut up a large butternut squash then go for the ready cut pieces in your supermarket’s produce aisle! That’s what I did because weeknights are pretty crazy for me! This recipe makes a lot so you’ll have some left over for lunch or dinner during the week.
No excuse to get that serving of vegetables in your day! I so know you’ll enjoy this recipe!
Until next time…
Let’s get cookin’
Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- Cutting Board
- Cookie sheet or large aluminum pan to roast squash
- Immersion blender
- 40 ounces butternut squash, diced in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp Madeline's Blended Oil Seasoning (split: refer to instructions) can substitute olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 sprigs fresh sage can substitute1 tsp dried sage
- ¼ tsp Hoby's Essentials Rosemary Salt Blend optional
- 1 tsp Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika can substitute ½ tsp paprika and ½ tsp cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock or chicken broth can substitute vegetable broth
- 1 small apple, diced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup light cream or coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400° convection roast or bake if you don't have convection roast.
- Lay the squash out on a cookie sheet or large aluminum pan.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp. of Madeline's Blended Oil Seasoning (or olive oil) on the squash.
- Sprinkle with Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika or the substitute.
- Toss until the squash is coated well. Roast for 30 minutes, until squash is soft.
- Sauté on low - medium heat the celery, onions and garlic and rosemary sprigs (or dried rosemary) with 1 tbsp. of Madeline's Blended Oil Seasoning or olive oil substitute. Sauté until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the roasted squash into the pot, stirring to mix. Add the diced apple, cinnamon and nutmeg, stirring to blend in. Optional: Hoby's Rosemary Salt Blend.
- Add maple syrup and chicken broth, bring to a boil, and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour in light cream or coconut milk, stirring to blend well.
- Using your immersion blender, blend the soup mixture until all ingredients are well blended and smooth with no lumps. You can pour the soup into a blender instead, but it will take a couple rounds.
- Simmer for 5 - 10 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with goat cheese and chives for added flavor!