APRIL SHOWERS BRING “SOUP”ER POWERS!
For me, food has always been something that is made with love and given to others from my heart and soul. And soup is always one of those comfort foods that can be a made year round, even in nice, warm weather! And in April, when we tend to have lots of rain showers, I love making soup!
And my Roasted Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup is a healthy and delicious soup that contains vegetables, fruit and spices with “good for you” ingredients! Rich in fiber, antioxidants, calcium, iron, and vitamins A, C, and E, you’ve got a soup that is not only delish, but SO good for you!
CHOOSE STOVETOP OR CROCKPOT!
Now I made this soup in a pot over the stove, but you can put it all in the crockpot if that’s easier for you! I do loke roasting my butternut squash and sweet potatoes first, but I promise the soup is just as delicious if they cook down in the pot or crockpot! And for a little sweetness in the soup, I chop up an apple along with the celery, carrots and onion!
CHOOSE YOUR MILK OR CREAM!
To finish off the soup so that it has a creamy texture, I added some evaporated milk into the soup as I was using my immersion blender. You can substitute light cream or condensed coconut or plant based milk (to make it dairy free). And I love topping it off with a dollop of goat cheese, and a garnish sprig of parsley or sage.
So until next time,
Let’s get cookin’ together,
Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- 1 Immersion blender
- 16 ounces butternut squash cubes I used one butternut squash.
- 16 ounces sweet potato cubes I used 2 large sweet potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup celery, sliced 2 stalks
- 1 cup carrots, sliced thin 2-3 carrots
- 1 cup apple, skinned and chopped 1 large apple
- ¼ cup avocado oil (split into two, ⅛ cup portions)
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Kosher or Himalayan Salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 12 ounces evaporated milk You can substitute sweetened condensed coconut milk for a vegan or dairy-free version.
- Turn oven on Convection Roast or traditional Bake to 400° F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Arrange cubed butternut squash and sweet potatoes on the cookie sheet, and toss with ⅛ cup avocado oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast or bake for 30 - 40 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Meanwhile, on low - medium heat, saute garlic, onions, carrots, celery and apples in ⅛ cup of remaining avocado oil for about 15 minutes while potatoes and squash are in the oven.
- Once potatoes and squash are roasted/baked, place into pot with dry spices and toss together. Add in vegetable broth and stir. Let simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn off heat. USe the immersion blender to blend soup so that it is smooth. Add evaporated milk, and blended well. Turn heat back on to low- medium, and cook soup for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, careful not to burn.
- Serve with fresh sage or parsley, and a dollop of goat cheese.