So after 59 years young, (lol), just realized the difference between “simple” and “easy”! Thanks to Mel Robbins, lawyer, famous author of “The 5 Second Rule” and “The High 5 Habit”, and an amazing motivational speaker explained it to me in her book (yes, just me personally…loll! It was one of the “Ah Hah” moments that I had in life…we all know about these…like when you spent all day working on an excel issue and when you call your IT support and they say “all you needed to do was this!” You feel like an idiot because you thought, “How did I miss that!”
I try to encourage family, friends and followers to think “simple” when preparing a meal. “Think in Threes.” Remember, your protein, starch and vegetable? Simple, right? Yet if my protein is a Beef Wellington, and my potatoes are an au gratin casserole, it might be “simple” in theory, but not so “easy” in cooking! If it’s a sirloin steak on the grill coated with just salt and pepper, and a baked potato done in the oven and served with butter, that’s “simple” and “easy”!
Like the thought of cleaning out your closet! You divide your clothes in three piles: keep, donate and trash. Simple, right? But when it comes time to make the decisions, a lot harder than you think! How many times have you gone back and forth about keeping an outfit because it was expensive, or you love it so much and just need to drop a couple pounds in order to wear it again? But then you put it back in the closet and never touch it until the next time you clean out the closet! Not as easy as you think!
But this Baked Rice recipe is “simple” AND “easy”! Everything goes in one pan, in the oven, and in an hour, it’s done! I make this rice dish all the time when I have friends and family over because I can prepare it and let it go! And everyone goes nuts over it!
I serve it with chicken, beef, shrimp, you name it! And don’t be afraid of the mushrooms! I cut them in large pieces and that way, anyone who doesn’t care for them (like my husband) can easily bypass them in the dish!
So I hope you’ll enjoy this dish, all year ’round!
Until next time…..
Let’s get cookin’
Simple and Easy Baked Rice
- 8 x 8 9 x 13 aluminum pan or glass dish
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup butter, softened or mostly melted
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, roughly chopped (If some of your family does not like mushroom, you can exclude or leave in big enough pieces they can pick out!)
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup chives or parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour all ingredients except the garnish into the pans, and mix until blended.
- Cover pan with foil or lid.
- Place in over and set timer for 20 minutes,
- Lift foil/lid and stir rice. Cover rice and put back in oven.
- After another 20 minutes, repeat.
- Take out of oven in 1 hour.
- Garnish with chopped parley and/or chives!