BURGERS FOR MEMORIAL DAY BARBECUE? OF COURSE!
But instead of a beef burger, let’s do a Turkey Burger! I great alternative to ground beef, it’s a healthier option for me and my higher cholesterol, although I still love beef burgers the best, though! This memorial day weekend, both my sons and their families were with us, and I had little time to prepare burgers for the grill. I had to do it on my lunch hour, while working much of the day, and while my granddaughter was sleeping because once she’s awake, we are inseparable! And thank goodness, this recipe is pretty quick and I had the ingredients in my pantry and fridge.
A HANDFUL OF SPICES AND 3 POUNDS OF GROUND TURKEY MAKE AWESOME TURKEY BURGERS!
One spice that I always have in my pantry and use for poultry, pork and some soups is cumin. It’s a mild, smoky spice that adds so much flavor, and isn’t so strong that it takes over your ingredients! And because turkey meat can be drier and less fatty that beef, I use egg whites instead of the entire egg to help bind the meat without drying it out. With a couple other spices and some diced red pepper and red onion, this will be the only turkey burger you’ll make!
BRING IT ON HOME WITH CONDIMENTS AND SMOKED GOUDA CHEESE!
Without a doubt, once those burgers are grilled up to perfection, you can melt some smoked gouda cheese on top, add some mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, raw red onion and you’ve got the perfect Turkey Burger for your barbecue! So I’m wishing you all a wonderful Memorial Day weekend with lots of great food, awesome drinks, and the best company with friends and family!
So until next time,
Let’s get cookin’
Turkey Burgers for Your Summer Barbecue!
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- Outdoor or Indoor Grill
- 1 Large Stove Top Sauté Pan
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tbsp Hoby's Essentials Happy Paprika You can substitute smoked paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup red onion, diced
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tbsp avocado
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 10 slices smoked gouda cheese You can substitute any cheese you like
- Pour avocado oil into the sauté pan and heat to medium.
- Put in diced red peppers and red onion, and sauté until softened, about 5 - 8 minutes. Turn off heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, put ground turkey, Happy Paprika, salt, pepper, ground mustard, cumin, egg whites, bread crumbs and the red pepper and red onion.
- Mix ground turkey until all ingredients are well blended, but try not to overmix. Pat mixture into a large ball. Mixture will be softer than a ground meet mixture.
- Preheat grill to medium-high setting.
- Divide ground turkey ball into 10 burgers patties.
- Grill burgers for 10 - 15 minutes on each side, making sure they reach 160°. Place slice of cheese on each burger and grill for about 2 minutes until cheese is melted on top of the burger.
- Serve on brioche buns with lettuce, tomato, raw onion, mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard and pickles or whatever other condiments you like!