I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving in the year 2021! Although we are still managing through a pandemic, many of us still gathered with our family and friends to celebrate being together, grateful for the safety, warmth and delicious food shared among us.
We enjoyed our traditional Thanksgiving meal and added a smoked brisket that my son prepared, and it was amazing! We shared left overs for three days straight! And I still had leftover turkey to make a delicious Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup. My son, Michael, and my husband, John and I were actually a little under the weather on Sunday, and the weather was a little chilly and cloudy, which made for a perfect soup day! And being able to use some turkey meat that was left over was a bonus!
There’s something so comforting about a pot of soup simmering on the stove, and the anticipation of ladling a hot, steaming bowl to warm your insides! This Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup starts off with traditional ingredients like carrots, celery, onion, and chicken stock, and adding mushrooms, wild rice, and rosemary and sage herbs brings it over the top with flavor! Using butter and flour to make a rue thickens the soup broth, and with a little heavy cream, makes this a creamy and yummy comfort food!
Before we know it, December will be here and a whole new level of comfort food, desserts, cookies and goodies will be on the menu! We’ll move from turkey talk to cookie chatter! so grab a spoon and dig into a nice cozy bowl of my Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup!
Can’t wait to share my special Holiday recipes with you coming up in December!
Until next time,
Let’s get cookin’
Turkey, Wild Rice and Mushroom Soup
- 4 - 8 Quart Pot with Lid
- 6 tbsps butter
- 2 cups onion, sliced
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 8 tbsps flour
- 8 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced or chopped to your liking optional if you don't care for mushrooms
- 4 cups wild rice, cooked
- 4 cups turkey, cooked and shredded can substitute chicken
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves, chopped can substitute 1-2 tbsps dried sage
- ¼ cup fresh rosemary, chopped can substitute 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp Rosemary Salt Blend (Hoby's Essentials) can substitute 1 tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (optional)
- Melt butter in the saucepot on low - medium heat.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, sage and rosemary and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the flour, cooking for 3 minutes, stirring frequently so flour does not burn.
- Slowly add about 2 cups of the stock and stir well, scraping the bottom of the pot to mix in the flour. Pour in the remaining stock, stirring to combine completely, and bring just to a boil.
- Stir in the turkey, mushrooms, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and stir to combine, reducing the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- After simmering 15 minutes, stir in the rice and add the heavy cream, stirring to combine.
- Continue simmering for an additional 20 - 30 minutes until all ingredients are well heated and combined.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.